Should I Leave This Relationship?
It is important to make such a decision thoughtfully and for the right reasons.
More Warning Signs
If your partner regularly does one or more of the following things, you have good reason to be concerned.
1. Behaves abusively with your friends and family
2. Betrays your trust
3. Breaks promises
4. Cheats on you
5. Does not challenge you mentally
6. Does not support your goals in life
7. Is extremely jealous without cause
8. Is not financially self-supporting
9. Opposes or ignores your thoughts, feelings, or concerns
10. Physically abuses you
11. Pressures you to have sex when you are not interested
12. Resists your attempts to improve the relationship
13. Shares your secrets with others
14. Tells lies regularly
15. Threatens violence
16. Tries to isolate you from your friends and family
17. Verbally abuses you or puts you down
These behaviors are very serious and potentially dangerous to you.
If you are in a relationship with someone who treats you in any of these ways, you should seriously consider seeking the assistance of a mental health professional.
The Impact of Stress
Stress can make it harder to decide what to do.
If you are questioning your relationship and have problems with money, are stressed at work, or the kids are acting up, deciding what to do becomes even more difficult.
It’s important to take your time and resist the temptation to make a fast decision that may later turn out to be the wrong thing for you.
Tips for Making Good Relationship Decisions
1. Take your time making any important decision such as whether to end an important relationship.
Even though you may feel confused and indecisive, it is important to recognize that this situation requires a deliberate and careful decision-making process.
2. Making a relationship decision calls for both instinct and logic.
It’s important to trust your gut, but don’t lose track of reason.
3. Look at the issues from different points of view.